(" Oh, no, You have a paint brush in your hand.")
These are the words I have heard from Mr. Jones many times in our married life.
I heard them again this last week. Mr. Jones is someone who likes things to stay where they are and I think he would be content to have the original paint still on the walls for 30 years. I think having things stay as they were keeps him grounded. I am a different story, I am continually changing furniture arrangements, paint color, finding new ways to do things etc. Mr. Jones always likes the finished project but he usually says, "I like it the way it is." He said that same statement about the bathroom below. It has been about 5 or 6 years since I painted it last and I don't know what it is but I start getting a thought about painting and I can't get it out of my head! Besides it's just a can of paint and if you don't like it you can always change it. Well, it was time for a change!
I had done a glazed treatment over these yellow walls.
It is a very small guest bathroom so it won't take long to paint.
These use to be an oak color and I painted them red when I went with the yellow mustard color.
I started by cutting in all of the edges. When we moved into this house there was a small medicine cabinet where the big hole in the wall is and I bought a large mirror and just put it over the hole. (Now, you know my secrets!)
Yep, just a hole in the wall.
Almost finished with the cutting in. Then I had to paint the ceiling, I painted it an ivory color because the yellow ceiling just wasn't doing it for me.
Of, course if you change the paint color then you need to change the accessories. I have these prints that I decided to Mod Podge to some canvas. This was easy you just find a print and cut it to the size of your canvas and start gluing it to the canvas. After the Mod Podge dries find a color to paint the sides and kind of smudge it up to the top.
I needed some new towels to match, so I found some fabric that would match the paint and made a couple of gathered ruffles to attach to the bottom. I cut my fabric 4 inches wide folded it in half. pressed it with an iron and ran a gathering stitch along the unfinished edge.
I used my embroidery machine to embroider the numbers on the towel.
Pinned into place and sewed away.
Added some more polka dots with the ribbon and the towel was finished!
Oh, and I decided to paint the towel bar instead of getting a new one because the holes in the wall were already the right size for this towel bar.
I did add this top stitch, if you can see it, on the top of the ruffle to keep the ruffle down and to get rid of the raw edges of the fabric on the other side of the ruffle.
I then made a hand towel and added the same size ruffle but decided to sew the ruffle down the middle so I finished the raw edge on this one with a Serge rolled hem.
Added the 1,2,3 and I had a matching set.
Now if you remember from the before picture I had this same towel rack and I really didn't want to buy all new towels so I added a towel cover to the towels I already had. I bought some white terry cloth fabric and added a border of brown and blue fabric and embroidered the numbers on the towel covers and then just wrapped them around the towels I already had.
I added a washcloth banner to the wall above the shower.
A new towel hook for the hand towel.
Painted the cabinets a dark brown. I did a light coat because I kind of liked the red showing through the paint.
Almost looks like a dark cherry.
Here is a close up of the towel covers.
Added some more polka dots to the wash cloths.
And some more polka dots! I just used some ribbon to attach the banner to the wall.
Here are my butterfly prints that are on an old dictionary page.
See how the paint from the sides of the canvas are smudged up onto the top.
Wow, I am exhausted! I think that is why I only get the paint bug every 5-6 years.
I love the new color though and it was all worth it!