Check out my Etsy shop!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chevron back splash

While making our kitchen transform, I had seen an episode on Studio 5 that showed how to add some vinyl chevron's to your walls.  I checked it out and loved how great they looked on painted walls.  It would cost about $170.00 to have the vinyl I needed to do the back splash in my kitchen.  Call me cheap, call me frugal, but I couldn't justify that much for vinyl.  Then I had an idea! I could make my own chevron's! Did you know that is how many of my best ideas come about, (not wanting to spend the money and thinking, I could do that!)
I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of white contact paper.  I was going to use scissors to do this, but then had a better idea, because I knew the lines would need to be precise. So, I used my quilting ruler and rotary cutter to cut the vinyl.

First I made a template from paper so I could see what size I would need., I then labeled one side number one and the other side number 2.  In order to make the chevron's you need one going one way and the next going the other way, so just reverse your pattern and you will have the exact measurement, just reversed!

I made them as wide as my quilting ruler and first cut the contact paper into strips.

Then I made 2 piles and went to town!  I started at the bottom  and worked up.
I used the backing from the contact paper to use for spacers, to make sure they would be even.  Once I got started, I couldn't believe how easy it was.
 
and can I tell you?? how much I loved it when it was finished!!
Loved it!
It cost me $8.00 for the roll of contact paper, and I pretty much have enough to do 3 or 4 kitchens.

My visitors who have come to see the kitchen have asked me where I got the tile for my back splash?
Look closer, it is just contact paper!!

I think I even like my counter tops better!

See how being cheap makes you creative!  
Hmm, maybe I could do a whole wall of this!



22 comments:

Pooch said...

You are an accomplished handy woman!! Thought I'd mention you might want to move your vinegar and oil away from direct sunlight/heat to preserve the flavors. They do look pretty on the window sill.

:)

Samm Spangler said...

This is awesome! I love chevron and it looks beautiful! Very $$ savvy!

Samm
www.LittleHouseintheBigD.com

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Donene,
I love your Chervon back splash, it looks amazing! Your instructions make it sound super simple. I also love DIY projects and saving money.
Smiles, Paula

Amber *SaltTree Creative* said...

I love a good contact paper transformation! You did a wonderful job! *I'm looking over my shoulder at my kitchen as I type this....*

Thanks for linking up at SaltTree!

Amy Fountain said...

I love the chevron back splash! Very ingenious idea.

Chrissy said...

It looks great. I also really really love those glass jars in the bottom photo, they are so unusual.

CaveGurl said...

Awesome!!! This would be a great solution to our kitchen, as we are still deciding what to do. Thanks for the inspiration!

I also want to know where you got those great canisters too! I need some like that.

Emily said...

Wow, that is amazing! It looks so great. I love chevron!

Emily

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a fantastic idea!! I'm your newest follower via the House of Hepworth's link party. Boy am I glad I found your blog...I'm pinning this idea asap. Megan

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Bravo!! Looks grey and yes, being frugal can force creativity!! I will be featuring you on Facebook this weekend! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Igottacreate/100573240032625
Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

Stacey said...

That is beautiful work!
Thanks for the tutorial!
I would love for you to link this up to my linky party!
STacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Looks great! What a creative idea!

Dana from Our Life's Legacy said...

This is beautiful and genius!

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

Wow, this is a great way to use contact paper! You would your backsplash was tile judging form the picture! Would you consider linking this up to my Pinworthy Projects Linky Party over at Just Us Four?

Unknown said...

I love it! The backsplash looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Stacey said...

Everything about this is beautiful!
Thanks for linking up!
Stacey of Embracing Change

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

What an amazing idea- it looks wonderful! Would love to know where you got the canisters, so pretty.

Vanessa said...

I absolutely love this! Please stop by my weekly blog shout out. I've featured your awesome back splash this week!
http://therookieseamstress.com/2012/05/03/weekly-blog-shout-out-2/

Jenni Swenson said...

So cute and trendy! What a great idea. I love chevron on everything!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I'm inspired - I think I could do this and it would look great in my kitchen. Thank you for posting this.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love this! Gotta try it! Funny, I get some of my best ideas the same as you by figuring out how to make something easier and cheaper that still looks good. Pinning this idea for sure.

Lacey said...

I use contact paper for vinyl ALL THE TIME because I'm just cheap! :) And I haven't had any problems. EVER. I used it for glass etching stencils LONG before vinyl and cutting machines were around. LOVE THIS!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails