Okay, so now I need some pillows for my guest room! Remember that I was just trying to use what I already have or redo something else. I have soooo many pillows in my house that I wouldn't dare go and buy more. (just ask my husband!) So, I decided to redo some pillows that I already had, I pretty much just used the pillow forms that the pillow covers were in. My inspiration came when I got out some of the lace that I have had for centuries, well not exactly centuries, (I'm not that old.) I have had this lace for a long time, it was some that I bought when a fabric store was going out of business and I knew I could do something with it later. Well, it is later! When I saw it rolled up on the fabric I had chosen it gave me an idea.
See, doesn't it look like a flower?
For the first 2 pillows I just ran a gathering stitch down the middle of the lace.
Then I just started sewing the gathered lace across the pillow, I didn't measure the lines but if you feel more comfortable measuring, measure out the lines and mark them before sewing.
Here are the 2 pillow tops with sewn lace.
For the next pillow I decided I wanted flowers so I did measure this time and made 9 circles and drew them lightly on the fabric with a pencil.
I gathered this lace at the bottom of the lace instead of the middle and then started the flower on the edge of the pencil line and worked my way in. When I got to the center I rolled the fabric into a tight coil for the center and I tacked the center down with a back and forth stitch to finish it.
Here is one of the flowers finished, only 8 more to go!
I could see that my lace was starting to run low so I thought I better work around the outside and because I didn't have enough to make all of them white another creative idea came and I decided to do the last one black! Sometimes improvisations are the best ideas because when I was finished I loved it!
I just used some black fabric because I didn't have any of the black lace to match. I measured about 2 1/2 inches of the fabric and then fold in half and press with the iron and run a gathering stitch along the edge. I then made the flower like I did the rest but found when I got to the center that it was easier to finish it by sewing with a needle and thread instead of with the sewing machine.
Here is the finished middle of the flower.
Sew it by hand.
Yes, the black really pops but I think that is what I like the best about it.
It turned out great for the comforter and matches just perfectly!